Photograph by Drew Austin
Would you like to begin understanding how to forecast waves? We have prepared a workshop with all the information and tools you need to understanding how wave forecasting works on the Great Lakes, so you can start chasing your own waves and never miss a session.
The workshop will cover:
- The science behind wave formation in the Ocean and on the Great Lakes.
- Understanding weather maps and charts.
- Using online tools and apps available for wave forecasting.
- Introduction to the most established surf spots and the ideal conditions for each spot.
- Understanding the differences in conditions for each season.
- Overview of surf equipment.
- Basic surfing etiquette.
- Basic safety and self rescue tools.
Surfing the lakes can be greatly different to warmer ocean beaches—especially in the winter months. Learn the safety precautions needed when surfing in these months and how to prep for these kind of days.
$50 + HST
SCHEDULE OF WORKSHOPS
Thursday, October 8th 7:00PM FULL
Thursday, October 29th 7:00PM
Thursday, November 19th 7:00PM
Surf the Greats — 250 Carlaw Ave Unit 101
Use the schedule below to book your spot now
Terms & Conditions
The health and safety of our community members and staff is of the utmost importance to us at all times. In light of growing concerns regarding the spread of the COVID-19 virus, we want to assure you that we have been closely monitoring updates from The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) as they relate to COVID-19 and implementing appropriate additional health and safety recommendations as necessary.
Due to COVID-19, we will limit the number of participants to 10. All participants will have seats 6 ft apart and will be required to sanitize their hands upon entering the shop and to wear a mask during the entire workshop. Participants from the same household will be allowed to sit together.
What we’re doing:
- Reducing the number of customers at the shop and in our clinics at any given time
- Removing indoor seating at the shop until further notice
- Wearing face masks when interacting with customers and other employees
- Increasing the frequency of our shop deep cleans
- Continuing with our regular sanitation of surfaces
- Disinfecting all surfaces, door handles, rental equipment and shared areas regularly with Benefect—a hospital grade, non-toxic disinfectant
- Quarantining products and equipment that have been tried on or used by customers for a period of 48 hours prior to putting it back into circulation
- Adding sanitizing stations for all to use throughout our spaces
- Educating our staff and community members on best hygiene practices
What we’re asking of you:
- Use your own equipment for clinics and and workshops whenever possible
- Wear a face mask when coming into the shop or while attending our clinics
- Stay at home if you are feeling ill and unwell
- Stay away from the shop and not attend one of our clinics for 14 consecutive days if you have travelled internationally to a COVID-19 hotspot or have been in close contact with an infected person
- Washing your hands with soap for at least 30 seconds or using our hand sanitizer frequently
- Minimize person-to-person contact
- Cough into a tissue, your shirt, or the crease of your elbow
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
You can cancel your class online or through our app up to 24 hours before class start time to avoid losing the class. We do not accept email or phone cancellations. If you have not canceled your class, you will receive an email the following day to advise you that you have been late canceled.
LATE CANCEL PENALTY
Our late cancel policies are based on student feedback to help create a more fluid and relaxing sign in. If we hold a spot for you and you don’t show up it means that someone else could not get into the class and this is frustrating for people who have made the time to show up.
NO REFUNDS OR CREDITS are given for classes missed.
If you have a 5-class pass, the class you missed will be automatically deducted.
We are sorry, but we cannot make individual exceptions. You have until 24 hours before class starts to add yourself in or remove yourself based on your schedule, so you can always wait until you know you can definitely make it to save your spot!
Even when a class appears full, you may, and should, add yourself to the waitlist. When a cancellation is made, the first name on the wait list gets automatically added to the class, and you receive an automatic email and/or text message at the time. Once you get added to the class from the waitlist you become responsible for attending or canceling.
LATE ARRIVAL PHILOSOPHY
If you are not signed in at the desk or at the beach within 10 min before class starts and there are students hoping and waiting for a spot in class, we open the available spots in class to those who are on the waitlist, and your reservation might thus be forfeited. We also start our classes on time and will not accept any late entry to classes.
Surf the Greats has a zero-tolerance policy for discrimination based on age, gender, sexuality, mental or physical disability, body type, race, religion or political belief.