Aquatic Rescue for Surf and SUP Instructors
This course has been designed specifically for the needs of surf and stand up paddle boarding instructors in a variety of aquatic conditions including flatware, moving water, and surf.
Upon the successful completion of the weekend candidates may receive both the Lifesaving Society's Bonze Cross/Medallions certifications which include CPR-C and AED.
The course is one of the pre-requisites to become a certified Surf and/or SUP Instructor with the International Surfing Association.
An overview of the some of the skills that will be covered over the weekend include:
- Aquatic First Aid
- How to safely delivery aquatic programs in cold water climates
- Cold Water Survival
- Ladder Approach
- Defences and Releases
- Surf/SUP Specific Rescues
- Communicating Effectively on the Water
- Spinal Injury Management (Dry and Wet)
- Entries and Removals
- Identify Someone in Need
(Course content breakdown 20% drylands, 80% in water)
- 16 years of age
- Ability to swim 500m in less than 15 mins in open water conditions
- Hold a Government of Ontario Standard First Aid (16 hrs.) award.
Cost: $399.00 + HST per person
Dates: May 24-26, 2019
Friday, May 24 6–10PM at Surf the Greats
Saturday, May 25 9AM–5PM at Cherry Beach
Sunday, May 26 9AM–5PM at Cherry Beach
NOTE: Candidates must provide a copy of their Standard First Aid award upon registration.
The course is limited to 8 participants. Registration fee is non-refundable and non-transferrable.