Flat Water Intro to Surf with Brown Girl Outdoor WorldRegular price $65.00 Save $-65.00
Surf the Greats is joining forces with Brown Girl Outdoor World for a special Flat Water Intro to Surf Clinic. This experience is limited to 6 participants and all equipment will be provided.
Join us on Saturday, August 29th at 9AM at Cherry Beach for this special introduction to surfing on the Great Lakes.
Learning to surf on the Great Lakes is a challenging, yet exciting endeavour. Our conditions here tend to be a bit harsher than on the oceans and the lack of consistency in good waves to teach have forced us to adapt our coaching and our offerings through our surf school. We created our Flat Water Intro to Surf Clinics as pre-requisite for our surf lessons with waves, so you can learn all the techniques you will need to get out on the waves in a safe and welcoming environment. This program is designed for low wind days in a controlled setting, giving you the time to perfect the fundamental skills required for our surf lessons with waves. This clinic will take you through a theory and dry land lesson that begins like any surf lesson, from safety and conditions, the differences from ocean to lake and a detailed instruction proper surfing techniques. This includes paddling techniques, turtle rolling, popping-up, correct stance and more. And yes, we will get out on the water and put this to practice and to build the paddling strength, with our instructors right by your side helping you perfect these skills.
In our Flat Water Intro to Surf clinics you can expect to learn:
- A brief history of surfing (Great Lakes and ocean)
- An introduction to surfing safety, including signals and conditions
- Fundamentals of paddling
- Correct paddle posture and technique (known as prone or prep position)
- Dismounting from prone position
- Entering and exiting the water safely
- Correcting and perfecting your surf stance
- Safely dismounting from standing
- Paddling through breaking waves in prone
- Turtle rolling
- Sitting on the board and turning around in the line up
CLASS DURATION: 75 minutes
SKILL LEVELS: First-timer and beginner surfers
- Surfboards, leashes, wetsuits
- Dry land lesson covering safety, techniques, proper paddling and pop-up
- In water lesson expanding on your knowledge from the dry land lesson